Experiential Learning Internship
Dartmouth Works Experiential Learning Internship Program is a collaborative effort between the Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning’s (DCAL) Experiential Learning Initiative, the Center for Professional Development, and Dartmouth Alumni Relations.
The 10–week program will take place in both Los Angeles and Seattle during the summer of 2018.
Los Angeles Program
Internships are in companies and organizations across various industries in Los Angeles. You will live with fellow students in apartments located on the UCLA campus and engage in a seminar series that will complement and enhance what you learn at work. The Los Angeles internship program piloted last year — check out the experiences of the summer 2017 interns.
Seattle internships will emphasize the application of innovative technologies and problem-solving approaches to hard challenges across sectors. You will live with fellow interns at a local university and engage in a seminar series that will complement and enhance what you learn at work.
View Internship Site Opportunities
Internships are rich experiential learning opportunities. Internships not only provide you with the opportunity to test and enhance your skills and abilities, they also expose you to professional work environments.
- 10-week internship placement with a company or organization that provides the student with meaningful work assignments and opportunities to learn about the company’s industry.
- Companies will assign mentors to the students to guide them during their internships (mentors may also serve as the intern’s supervisor).
- Interns will be provided housing with other interns.
- Interns will participate in a weekly seminar series focused on varied approaches to organizational and leadership development across different industries, sectors and organizations.
- The program will require a pre-internship orientation program that focuses on community building, goal setting and logistical planning and a post-experience program that will include individual and group debriefing sessions.
- Gain real world experience and explore potential career paths
- Gain confidence to take risks, be flexible, and learn new skills
- Practice and/or develop communication skills and technologies
- Establish meaningful relationships with company mentors
- Internship position and housing are arranged
- These are paid internships. Company pay will vary depending upon the site, but will be at least minimum wage.
- Housing is provided at no cost to you. (Food and transportation costs are your responsibility.)
- Apply to both the Los Angeles and Seattle programs, and indicate up to three preferences for internship sites (your three preferences do not have to be in the same city).
You must be returning as a matriculating student in the academic year 2018-19.
Internship or other work experience opportunities, whether paid or unpaid, should be carefully evaluated to ensure students have proper work authorization in the United States. In general, work off campus must be specifically authorized for students holding F-1 or J-1 immigration status; students in these visa categories should meet with their OVIS advisor to discuss work authorization. Students with any other immigration status should check with their immigration attorney to ensure they will be in compliance with their status.
Program Application Timeline:
- Application period: Friday, January 5, 2018 to Monday, January 29, 2018
- First stage interviews: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 to Thursday, February 22, 2018
- Second stage interviews: Monday, February 26, 2018 to Friday, March 9, 2018
- Pre-departure orientation: Thursday, May 24, 2018
View internship site descriptions and apply by January 29, 2018.
Required application materials will include a resume, an unofficial transcript, and a letter of interest highlighting your reasons for applying to the program, why you selected your preferred internship sites, and any pertinent skills or qualifications you can bring to the internship.
Note: You are not able to save the application form, so be sure to have all documents ready to complete the application in one seating.