Dartmouth Alumni Council
December 1, 2007
Contacts: Rick Silverman, President, Alumni Council, (617) 875-8823;
JB Daukas, President-Elect, Alumni Council, (617) 570-1686
Hanover, N.H.-The Dartmouth College Alumni Council voted 62 to 1 (with one abstention) on Saturday, December 1, to issue a statement condemning Dartmouth College Trustee Todd Zywicki, Class of 1988, for remarks he made in October at a conference of the John William Pope Center for Higher Education Policy in Raleigh, North Carolina.
The council resolution states:
"Resolved that the Alumni Council issues the following statement concerning the public statements made by alumni-nominated trustee Todd Zywicki at the John William Pope Center on October 27, 2007:
The Alumni Council expresses disappointment and disapproval of the behavior of the alumni-nominated trustee Todd Zywicki. It is inappropriate, and contrary to Dartmouth's best interests, for a trustee publicly to
- Criticize the motives of those alumni who donate to the College;
- Disparage a former College president by referring to him as a "truly evil man";
- Promote giving to institutions other than Dartmouth, at the College's expense;
- Accuse College faculty and administrators of godlessness and lack of patriotism; and
- Make false statements and misleading statements about Dartmouth and its history."