May 9, 2009
Filene Auditorium, Moore Hall
President John Mathias Jr. '69 opened the meeting. He introduced the members of the 2008-2009 Association of Alumni officers and executive committee members who were in attendance. They were secretary-treasurer David Spalding '76, first vice-president Cheryl Bascomb '82, and executive committee members Doug Keare '56 '57Tu, John Engelman '68 and Kaitlin Jaxheimer '05.
John Mathias outlined the agenda topics as are listed in the Association of Alumni constitution.
Secretary's minutes: David Spalding thanked John Mathias for his leadership as the 2008-2009 president of the Association of Alumni. He reported that the minutes of the 2008 annual meeting, held on June 10, 2008, are posted online at http:///default.aspx?id=1081. In addition, the 2008-2009 eleven Executive Committee meeting minutes are posted online at the association's website (except for the most recent meeting which will be posted shortly).
- Remarks by the president: John Mathias delivered some remarks in his address to alumni.
- Appointment by the president of the regular committees: This was tabled until the next Executive Committee meeting.
- Treasurers Report and any matter of business from the executive committee: David Spalding said that at the last annual meeting, on June 10, 2008, it was reported that the 2007-2008 Executive Committee had opened a bank account which had a $1 balance in it. The 2008-2009 Executive Committee rescinded all resolutions passed by the 2007-2008 Executive Committee including the authorization to open a bank account. David Spalding had contacted Frank Gado (who had opened the account) about closing the bank account, and Frank did so by having the remaining balance paid to himself. This year approximately $75,000 has been budgeted by Alumni Relations to support the Association of Alumni election and the annual meeting.
- Communications from the President or the Board of Trustees: none.
- Election of honorary members: none.
- Report of the Committee on Nominations and reports of special committees: none.
- Miscellaneous business: John Mathias asked if any alumni present wished to speak, but none did.
John Mathias announced the results of the Association of Alumni election. Alumni voted to accept the proposed change to the association constitution that was included on the election ballot by a vote of 10,375 "yes" (81.9 percent) to 2,293 "no" (18.1 percent). There were 12,668 votes cast on the proposed amendment. The amendment required a two-thirds supermajority of voting alumni to pass. The amendment modifies the way in which alumni nominate trustees to the Dartmouth College Board of Trustees
Approximately 19.5% of the Dartmouth alumni body participated in the Association of Alumni election.
The following alumni were elected to the Association of Alumni Executive Committee. Their vote totals are in parentheses.
Executive Committee Officers
John H. Mathias Jr. '69 (10,701)
First Vice President:
Veree Hawkins Brown '93 (10,604)
Second Vice President:
Douglas Keare '56, '57Th, '57Tu (10,656)
David P. Spalding '76 (10,670)
Executive Committee Members
Marian Zischke Baldauf '84 (10,402)
Cheryl Bascomb '82 (10,460)
John Engelman '68 (10,492)
Ronald Harris '71 (10,407)
Kaitlin Jaxheimer '05 (10,327)
Otho Kerr, III '79 (10,414)
Ronald Schram '64 (10,483)