Discover the intriguing mélange of cultures that flourished in the wake of ancient empires on this exclusively chartered cruise to the resplendent shores of Italy, Sicily and Malta. Cruise for seven nights from Rome, Italy, to Valletta, Malta, aboard the newest Five-Star expedition ship, Le Bougainville, launching in 2019 with only 92 Suites and Staterooms, each with a private balcony, and featuring the extraordinary Blue Eye, the world’s first multisensory, underwater observation lounge. Our outstanding, custom-designed itinerary features the very best of this historic region at the most ideal time of year, and affords the unique opportunity to travel with a small, intimate group that visits seven UNESCO World Heritage sites. Marvel at Italy’s stunning Amalfi Coast and the colorful seaside town of Sorrento. Gain insight into Roman life of A.D. 79 in the superbly excavated town of Pompeii. Discover Sicily’s storied town of Taormina, the legendary city of Syracuse and Agrigento’s majestic Valley of the Temples. Experience the rich history of Malta, the island nation where Saint Paul was shipwrecked. Rome Pre-Cruise and Malta Post-Cruise Options are available.
- Introducing the extraordinary Blue Eye, the world’s first multisensory, underwater observation lounge.
- Uniquely, created small ship seven-night cruise itinerary.
- Exclusively chartered cruise aboard the newest Five-Star expedition ship Le Bougainville, launched in 2019, accessing ports unavailable to larger vessels.
- Only 92 Suites and Staterooms —each with a private balcony!
- All excursions are included.
- Exclusive onboard lectures by study leaders.
- Features seven UNESCO World Heritage sites, including Italy’s breathtaking Amalfi Coast and Sicily’s ancient Greco-Roman sites in Syracuse and Agrigento.
- Cruise through centuries-old cities, medieval ports and scenic landscapes—once coveted by the world’s most powerful empires—at a tremendous value.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages throughout the cruise and complimentary Wi-Fi aboard ship.
- Rome Pre-Cruise and Valletta Post-Cruise Options.
- Depart the U.S. or Canada
- Rome, Italy/Civitavecchia/Embark Le Bougainville
- Sorrento for Pompeii
- Sorrento for Amalfi Coast and Positano /Island of Capri
- Cruise past Stromboli/Naxos, Sicily, for Taormina
- Porto Empedocle for Agrigento
- Valletta, Malta
- Valletta/Disembark ship/Return to the U.S. or Canada
Graziella Parati is the Paul D. Paganucci Chair of Italian Literature and Language, Professor of Comparative Literature, and Women's and Gender Studies at Dartmouth College. Born and educated in Italy, she completed her higher education in the United States. She received an M.A. in Italian Literature at the University of Washington, and a Ph.D. in Italian at Northwestern. She has taught at Lancaster University in England, the University of Pennsylvania, and the University of Colorado, Boulder, before coming to Dartmouth in 1991.
Professor Parati's research focuses on migration issues and, in particular, on African migration to Southern Europe. Her books include Migration Italy: The Art of Talking back in a Destination Culture; Public History, Private Stories: Italian Women's Autobiography; Italian feminist Theory and Practice; Mediterranean Crossroads; and Multicultural Literature in Contemporary Italy.