April 9, 2011 | Room 28, Silsby Hall | 11 am
President John Mathias '69 opened the meeting.
1. The first item on the agenda was the secretary's minutes. Association of Alumni secretary-treasurer Lynne Gaudet '81 thanked the nine members of the 2010-2011 Association of Alumni Executive Committee who have completed three years in office and will retire this year. They are president John Mathias '69, first vice president Veree Brown '93, second vice-president Doug Keare '56 '57Th '57Tu, and executive committee members Marian Zischke Baldauf '84, John Engelman '68, Ron Harris '71, Kaitlin Jaxheimer '05, Otho Kerr '79 and Ron Schram '64. She recognized John Mathias, Doug Keare and John Engelman who were in attendance. Lynne and current executive committee member, Mark Alperin '80, are running for re-election. Lynne said that the minutes of last year's Association of Alumni annual meeting were approved shortly after that meeting and are posted on the Association of Alumni website. In addition, the minutes of the six conference calls held by the Association of Alumni Executive Committee since the last annual meeting have all been approved and are also posted on that same website.
2. The second item on the agenda was remarks by the president. John Mathias thanked Lynne Gaudet and former Association of Alumni secretary-treasurer David Spalding for their work with the Association of Alumni executive committee. John reflected on his three years as president of the Association of Alumni and said that he feels that Dartmouth College has never been in better shape than it is now. He has experienced Dartmouth as a student, an alumnus, and as the parent of five children who have attended Dartmouth. He has enjoyed working with President Kim, the Board of Trustees, alumni, and College administrators on common goals. He noted his respect for alumni volunteers, philanthropic alumni, and Dartmouth parents who all care deeply about Dartmouth.
3. The next agenda item was the appointment by the president of the regular committees. This will be done by the next executive committee.
4. The next agenda item was the treasurer's report and any matter of business from the executive committee. Lynne Gaudet reported that there was no money taken in by the Association and no money was spent. The College budgeted $80,000 for the cost of the election and the annual meeting. The final election bills have not been submitted to date.
5. The next agenda item was communications, if any, from the president or the board of trustees of the College. There were none.
6. The next agenda item was the election of honorary members. There were none.
7. The next agenda item was the report of the committee on nominations and reports of special committees. There were none.
8. The next agenda item was miscellaneous business. John Mathias asked if there were any alumni who wanted to make comments. There were none.
9. John Mathias then reported the results of the elections for the Association of Alumni and the two alumni-nominated trustee vacancies. He said that the total number of votes cast in the election were 10,572 which was approximately 15.5% of alumni. In the trustee election, Alumni Council nominee Gail Koziara Boudreaux '82, who ran for Vacancy 1, received 9,140 votes. Alumni Council nominee Bill Burgess '81, who ran for Vacancy 2, received 9,016 votes. Earlier this morning, the Board of Trustees voted to elect Gail Koziara Boudreaux and Bill Burgess to the Board of Trustees. Seventy-three percent of the votes were cast electronically. Twenty-seven percent of the votes were cast by paper ballot.
10.John Mathias reported that the following alumni were elected to the Association of Alumni Executive Committee. Their vote totals are in parentheses.
Executive Committee Officers
President: John "JB" Daukas '84 (10,432)
First Vice President: Gary L. Love '76 (9,696)
Second Vice President: Peter A. Bleyler '61 (9,656)
Secretary-Treasurer: Lynne Hamel Gaudet '81 (9,759)
Executive Committee Members
Gersh Abraham '58 '59Th (9,594)
Mark Alperin '80 (9,614)
Belinda H. Y. Chiu '98 (9,619)
Jeff Crowe '78 (9,685)
Ann Fritz Hackett '76 (9,671)
Kiyoe Hashimoto '95 (9,640)
Kate Strayer-Benton '05 (9,590)
11. Incoming Association of Alumni president John "JB" Daukas '84 thanked John Mathias for his extraordinary service over the last few years on behalf of Dartmouth College and all alumni. He introduced the other incoming members who were in attendance. They were Gersh Abraham '58 '59 Th, Pete Bleyler '61, Mark Alperin '80 and Kate Strayer-Benton '05.
12. John Mathias adjourned the meeting.