The annual movement of wildebeest and other grazing herbivores across the Serengeti Plains is one of the greatest spectacles of the natural world. Orbridge's Tanzania Migration Safari is a once-in-a-lifetime journey, encompassing this and other incredible wildlife excursions to world-famous national parks and reserves: Arusha National Park, Tarangire National Park, Ngorongoro Crater, Oldupai Gorge and the acacia-dotted savannas of Serengeti National Park. Accompanied by expert Orbridge naturalists in outfitted Toyota Land Cruisers, venture with a small group of travelers into the vast and varied terrain of East Africa. Experience thrilling moments viewing diverse and abundant bird and mammal species, while getting to know local people and learning about the tapestry of cultures around you. Then, restore your senses in extraordinary lodges and a beautiful tented safari camp. Join us on safari and witness marvelous dramas of life and survival unfold before your eyes.
* Explore some of the most important parks and reserves in East Africa, including the Serengeti--host at different times of the year to the Great Migration, the cyclical journey of 1.6 million herbivores on their quest for survival.
* Retreat to deluxe lodges and tented camps, each uniquely beautiful and authentic in decor.
* Participate in up to 12 game drives accompanied by an Orbridge Expedition Leader and expert naturalist guides aboard safari-outfitted Land Cruisers.
* Visit Oldupai Gorge, the "Cradle of Humanity"; and spend a full day at Ngorongoro Crater--home to populations of lion, leopard, black rhino, hyena, wildebeest, buffalo, elephant, and zebra.
* Visit Tanzania's first official elephant orphanage and learn about the efforts to conserve this endangered species.
* Encounter local cultures on guided village, school, and plantation visits in Mto wa Mbu and a fishing village on the shore of Lake Victoria.
Day 1-2: En route / Arrive Arusha, Tanzania
Day 3-4: Tarangire National Park
Day 5: Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Day 6: Ngorongoro Crater
Day 7-8: Oldupai Gorge / Serengeti National Park - Seronera Valley
Day 9-10: Western Serengeti / Grumeti / Lake Victoria
Day 11: Serengeti / Depart Arusha
Day 12: En route / Arrive U.S.
Optional four night post tour: Rwanda Gorilla Trek
**Itinerary and pricing subject to change up until date of brochure publication**
This safari program requires an ability to walk safely over uneven and slippery ground without assistance, transport luggage a short distance, get in and out of a 4 x 4 Land Cruiser, and physically tolerate vehicle motion on sometimes bumpy Serengeti roads.
Ayo A. Coly is an Associate Professor of Comparative Literature and African Studies at Dartmouth College. She is from Dakar, Senegal. She went to school in both Senegal and France, then moved to the United States to complete a Ph.D in Comparative Literature and Women's and Gender Studies at Pennsylvania State University. Her published work focuses on African women's literatures, homophobia in Africa, gender in Africa, and African photography. She is currently completing a book manuscript on African women's representations of their bodies and sexualities. She is also conducting research for a book on homophobia in Senegal. Ayo A. Coly has traveled widely across Africa. She also serves as a consultant to NGOs and international organizations in the fields of women in education and sexual violence against women.