May 16–18, 2013
The meeting was called to order by Louis Spelios ’95, Student Affairs Committee chair.
The first item on the agenda was a student panel titled “Dartmouth College Today Panel: Student Perspectives on Campus and Student Life.” Panelists included Meegan Daigler ’14, Julia Bradley-Cook GR’14, and Rohail Premjee ’14. The panelists responded to the following questions.
- Can you talk about the current strengths and weaknesses of Dartmouth and campus life?
- What are your thoughts on campus social life (Greek, non-Greek, adult life, Upper Valley living)?
- Do you feel safe on campus and in Hanover?
- What do you think of the College’s new sexual assault and hazing policies?
- How would the graduate student community like to be part of the Dartmouth community?
The committee discussed recent events on campus.Dean of the College Charlotte Johnson gave a summary of events leading up to the Dimensions protest and the series of events leading up to the cancelation of classes. Members of the committee shared their perspectives on what would be an appropriate action by the Students Affairs Committee. A motion was made and approved to move the conversation to an online email exchange following the Alumni Council weekend.
John “J.B.” Daukas ’84 will become the Student Affairs Committee chair during the 2013-14 Alumni Council year and Matt Hoffman ’82 was elected to serve as vice chair during that time period.